If we live according to the truth of our sexuality, we fulfill the very meaning and being of our existence.
Pope John Paul II



Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why I can't post as much as I want to...

As someone who has a passion for spreading the Theology of the Body, I could spend all day reading, writing, and telling others of this life-changing message. There is so much going on in our world - from Lady Gaga to Arnold Schwarzenegger - that lends itself to be reflected upon in light of human sexuality as God designed it to be. I catch myself wanting to jump onto my computer (well, not literally) and type and type about the state of affairs in our culture in hopes of shedding light on the Truth of Christ.

But then, out of the corner of my eye, I see that there is a pile of dishes in the sink, a daughter who needs to be read to and a son who needs his diaper changed. And so I close my Facebook, switch off the blog, and tend to the needs of my home and family.

After discerning that the Lord was calling me to be a wife and mother, I knew that everything else in my life would have to take a back seat to my primary vocation. Yes, I had a love for ministry. Yes, I had a love for writing and speaking and many other good things in my life. But in calling me to my vocation, God was asking me to place everything aside to serve the needs of the ones he puts in my care. And, in doing so, He would ultimately give me the desires of my heart through a thriving ministry and many lives changed as a result.

This is the struggle that many of us face on a daily basis - especially when it comes to balancing the needs of our family with our mission of spreading the message of Christ. Even as I type this, my daughter is beckoning me to come play! (Just a minute honey, I'll be right there...) There have been times when I get frustrated, wishing I had more time to tell others about TOB and how the Catholic Church's teachings on sexuality have set me free. I wish I could travel to every parish and young adult group and high school in this diocese (and beyond!) in hopes of sharing the Truth.

But, alas, I have realized this is not necessarily what the Lord desires of me at this moment. He most desires that, along with my husband, I raise holy children filled with love, integrity, compassion for others, and a deep desire for Christ. And so, while I wish to be telling others about TOB, sometimes I must rather hug my children and know that if they were ever my only audience, this would be enough. If it is "only" them that hear God's message through me, and if they are changed as a result, then my job on earth would be complete.

Blessed John Paul II said, "As the family goes, so goes the nation, so goes the world in which we live." Taking head of this prophecy, let us turn towards those entrusted to our care and make it our primary goal that each one of them get to Heaven. Because it is by this means that the world will truly be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment